KYA's First Studio
KYA went on the air December 18, 1926, from this studio on the fifth floor of the Clift Hotel.
It was operated by the Pacific Broadcasting Company, owned by Vincent Kraft, the operator
KJR in Seattle. Over the next three years he constructed several other stations on the West Coast,
and even opened a nascent network, the American Broadcasting Company. However, it all collapsed
suddenly in 1929 when one of his investors, a Seattle banker, was jailed for embezzling bank funds
to keep the stations afloat.
[Go to Index of Articles]
[Return to Photo Archive]
[Return to Home Page]