KPO's Transmitter, 1923
The transmitter room of KPO was located on the sixth floor of the Hale Brothers'
Department Store. On the operator's desk is a radio receiver which was used to listen for
distress calls from sea for five minutes' an hour (during which time, the station was required
to be off the air!). Behind the desk on the left is the generator control panel, which operated
a 5-1/2 horsepower motor which drove a 2 KW 1600 volt DC generator. To the right of the
control panel is the Western Electric 500 watt transmitter. At the right of the operator's desk is
the speech input panel which amplified the program audio and allowed the operator to adjust the
modulation level of the transmitter.
[Go to Index of Articles]
[Return to Photo Archive]
[Return to Home Page]