KPO's First Studio and Transmitter, 1922
This view shows radio station KPO as built by Joe Martineau on the sixth floor of Hale Brothers'
Department Store in 1922. A piano and a phonograph were provided as a source of program material.
The transmitter is the large black panel in the rear, and a light bulb above it indicated when
the station was on the air. To the right of the transmitter is a carbon announce microphone and a
Westinghouse RC receiver, which was used to monitor for ships in distress.
[Go to Index of Articles]
[Return to Photo Archive]
[Return to Home Page]