This is the Tampa - St. Pete History section of
The Broadcast Archive
Maintained by: Barry Mishkind - The Eclectic Engineer
Last Update 12/21/03
WDAE - Tampa,
Licensed: May 15,
1922 (DOC #379)
WDAE, regarded as
the first station in Florida (the first station in the old DOC lists, WCAN, may
not have ever been on the air)
Founded by the
Tampa Publishing Company, owner of the Tampa Times, WDAE received license #379
from the Department of Commerce on May 15, 1922. Broadcasting commenced on the
May 18, 1922 on 833 kHz at 250 watts.
the 1920s from 1100 to 1120 to 620 to 1240 to 1220, WDAE landed on 1250 kHz
after the National Frequency Shift of March 29, 1941. Ownsership moved through
David Smiley to the Rounsaville stations to the Taft stations to Gannett. After
being absorbed into Clear Channel's cluster in 2000, WDAE was shifted to 620
kHz, with WSUN being moved to xxx.
One of the
slogans used in the 1920s and 1930s was: WDAE: Wonderful Days And Evenings.