This is the WHAS History section of 
The Broadcast Archive

Maintained by: Barry Mishkind - The Eclectic Engineer
Last Update 3/2/08

WHAS, Louisville, KY
Station Tour

logo here Licensed: July 13, 1922
First Broadcast: July 18, 1922


WHAS has a long history in western Kentucky, and all through the mid-South. From Louisville, the 7XX foot tower sends out the 50 kW non-directional signal that characterized the old Class 1-A stations. WHAS is housed some 25 miles ENE of Louisville in a typical transmitter building of the 1940s.

The original tower was a Blaw-Knox "diamond" style.

During the floods of 19xx, WHAS stayed on the air and helped people with timely news and advice.

In 197x, this transmitter was installed.

In 197x, a Continental 317-C was installed. It was the main transmitter through 2005.

In April 1985, a storm dropped the Blaw-Knox tower. It was replaced with a standard vertical tower, which is standing today.



We appreciate Scott Cason and Larry Baysinger's help on this page

Scott Cason's WHAS page