This is the KYPA History section of
The Broadcast Archive

Maintained by: Barry Mishkind - The Eclectic Engineer
Last update: 3/27/14

A Pictorial Tour of KYPA


KYPA originally was KGFJ. Located near downtown LA, the horizontal antenna served for many years. In 2003, the new ownership decided to diplex 1230 into one of the six towers for the 1580 station, KBLA (KDAY). However, the coverage from the vertical antenna on 1580 was very poor compared to the original location.  The station was forced to return to its long-time home, high atop what became an almost vacant building. 

The KYPA antenna is virtually unseen in these days.

The four feedlines attach on the end of the antenna.

The transmitter room prior to 2004. The current transmitter is a BE AM 1A