This is the Collins Equipment Section of
The Broadcast Archive

Maintained by:
Barry Mishkind - The Eclectic Engineer
Last updated 3/28/08


Collins 300 Series of transmitters

The 300 Series of transmitters started at 100 Watts in the 1930s, and eventually increased to 250 Watts. 


The 300 was a 100 Watt unit..


The 300C was a 100 Watt unit

300D (1935)

The 300D was a 100 W unit..

300E and 300F  (1936)

This picture of a 300E/F from a 1937 Collins catalog is shared with us by John Aegerter, WA9GAR. 

The transmitter had a pretty straightforward and clean design. Here is a closer view with the doors open:

Here is a look into the rear of the 300E/F 


The E version ran 100 Watts, using Cunningham C203 tubes in the PA. The F version ran 250 Watts, using C201 tubes.

Apparently, Collins used Raytheon and Cunningham tubes to avoid dealing with RCA and Sarnoff for the tube licensing.


The 300FA.

This was the original transmitter that WOLF signed on with May, 9, 1940. It was originally purchased as 1500kc, then changed to 1490 during the bandshift of 1941.

The station was 250w until 1964 when 1000 watts was FCC approved and the Collins became the nighttime transmitter.
It stayed in service until 1976. It was an incredibly dependable transmitter. 

Bob Mitchell  WOLF 1490 Tribute Site   Syracuse, NY


300G - Serial No. 33, the original transmitter when WUST-Washington, D.C. went on the air 1120Kc in 1947. Now restored and operational from Annapolis, Md., with tunable frequency control on the ham bands.



This is essentially a smaller brother to the 550A-1 and 20V ... only at 250 W nominal. It used 4-125s instead of the 4-250s in the 550A or the 4-400s in the 20V series.
300J Schematic

Our thanks to Dave Hultsman for his recollections and help in gathering pictures and information.

Back to Collins transmitting gear